Monday, February 8, 2010

Choose the right communication medium

Here's how I communicate in the office:

Email: I use this for 'latency tolerant' communication. For example, I've got an issue, but one that isn't too pressing. Email can handle images as well, but I also relegate email to low priority items. I don't expect an email back 'right away' for example. People use email if they want a 'paper trail', I see this used alot in passive aggressive kind of maneuvers, where someone sets the To: line to one person, and CC's the boss or other higher up. While email is very common, I find it almost barbaric. Granted, its enabled by our modern network, and is effectively 'free', but if you want something done, just go talk to that person. Email could be used to broadcast to a group, but many times, the group contains to many recipients, as very few people ever trim the recipient list even if it's obvious who should be cut out.

IM: We have Office Communicator at work, which is basically a stripped down Messenger client (no images, files, etc can be passed through it). This is great for stuff I'd like an answer on 'in the next 15 minutes or so", and that person is far away, or I can't leave my desk just then to go walk over to them. I also use IM for 'private' things. Instead of whispering a joke over the cube wall, it gets sent via IM. Its great, cuz the boss thinks you are typing away on code. I would rather just talk to someone face to face, but I've come to accept this form.

Phone: I rarely use the phone at all in my line of work. Usually, I answer the phone if someone else calls, but have called out for work related issues probably once a year.

Face-to-face: This is my preferred mode of communication. I get up, walk to that person, and talk to them directly. If I need to show an image, I might email them first with the image (or URL), then immediately walk over to them. I get the most done, and it just seems silly to me when people bounce emails one cube over.

Wave: Google Wave fascinates me. while it's not in heavy use as yet, I can see plenty of potential. Seeing other people edit and update entries or widgets is amazingly compelling.



No comments:

Post a Comment