Thursday, May 6, 2010

Plane and EFIS update

As mentioned previously, I ported to GTK (via gtkmm), which generally went OK. However, cairo on windows (at least 2.16) is amazingly slow. So slow in fact, it can't render a few lines (airspaces and SUAs) on my moving map in less than 400ms.

400ms?? Seriously? It's drawing lines, not a voxel based renderer. I couldn't figure out how to make it any faster, but I found out how to create a DIB and get a good ol' GDI DC on it.

So, while the rest of the app is in GTK, with a smidge of cairo, the main drawing is handled in GDI. Thats not the best port in the world.

Now I'm thinking that I might want to ditch C++ altogether and just make a Java version of this (with stock AWT), that makes it stupendously portable, so instead of recompiling for linux, I could theoretically just drop some class files and go.

The other idea would be to nab one of the upcoming android tablets, and just make an android app out of it. That way, customers could use their cell phones, or just grab their own tablet of whatever size they want, (like a Dell Mini 5, Archos 7, JooJoo, or whatever)

This starts to make more and more sense the more I think about it.

I'm sure my friend Trimbo will chime in with "I told you to do this in the first place".


No comments:

Post a Comment